Hospital staff donates $5,000
The Saint John Hospital medical staff has answered the call for help in the aftermaths of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita with a $5,000 donation to the American Red Cross.
Dr. Richard Whitlow, medical staff president, said the donation came from treasury funds collected from all Saint John physicians. "As physicians and Americans, we felt the need to answer the call," he said. "There are many people recovering from the hurricanes who are unable to pay for their medical care. The medical staff felt this was something they could do to help those in need."
Drs. Peter Cristiano and Kathleen McBratney of the Saint John staff assisted several patients in the initial wave of those evacuees transplanted to the Kansas City area.
"All Leavenworth area physicians are involved in treating the hurricane victims in some capacity," Whitlow said. "We are happy to be able to contribute to help better the lives of others."
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Where comics, movies and TV shows come to life
- Artist hopes Bonner's 'Marble Crazy' event broadens horizons
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Kansas City Connection: Group golf and a great escape