PRIDE president: Membership waning
City approves donation to PRIDE
The Basehor City Council approved Monday night allocating $1,500 -- the same amount as last year -- to the local PRIDE group for this year's Fourth of July celebration.
PRIDE president George Smith spoke to council members about the organization during the meeting.
PRIDE's annual Fourth of July celebration is one of the city's biggest events of the year. It kicks off with a parade and then a fireworks display at Basehor-Linwood High School.
The council also approved waiving a permit fee for the organization's fireworks stand, which PRIDE uses to raise money for programs throughout the year.
Smith told council members that, while PRIDE involvement in civic activities has never been stronger, participation and membership is waning.
"I think we're a worthwhile organization and we do a number of good things in the city," said Smith, noting events the group organizes such as Christmas in the Park, the Fourth of July celebration, an annual Police and Firemen's Appreciation Banquet and projects to beautify the city.
Anyone interested in joining the PRIDE group is encouraged to contact Smith at (913) 724-2998.
In other news, the city council:
- Deferred until April 17 an ordinance creating U.S. Highway 24-40 sanitary sewer taxing district and setting assessments and an ordinance articulating repayment of city-at-large costs for the sewer taxing district.
- Approved, 4-0, an amendment to municipal policy regarding sewer rate fees. The fees, $6.99 per 1,000 gallon, remain the same as last year. Council member Keith Sifford was absent from Monday's meeting.
- Approved, 4-0, authorizing administrative department to send notices to delinquent sewer and solid waste accounts.
- Approved, 4-0, an ordinance setting late fees and procedures for collecting delinquent reimbursable accounts.
- Approved, 3-1, an ordinance creating a public defender fund. Council member Bill Hooker voted against the ordinance.
- Approved, 4-0, rescinding a previous motion to allow chief of police to hire non-certified police officers.
- Approved, 4-0, purchase of clam bucket for 810C uniloader.
- Approved, 3-1, final plat, construction documents and subdivision improvements agreement for Pinehurst north. Hooker voted no.
- Approved, 3-1, final plat, construction documents and subdivision improvements agreement for Stone Creek Crossing. Hooker voted no.