Air conditioner causes fire scare
A weekend fire cleared a building used for daycare on the grounds of the Lansing Correctional Facility.
Leavenworth Fire District No. 1 Chief Rick Huhn said an overheated air-conditioner motor short-circuited, caught fire and sent smoke through State House No. 5, which is outside the prison walls in the 100 block of Kansas Avenue.
There were no children in the building at the time of the fire, which occurred at 1:42 p.m. Saturday, Huhn said.
"It was just the women who care for the kids," Huhn said. "They saw smoke and called us."
Huhn said the only damage was to the air conditioner.
More like this story
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Jeanette Klamm, USD 458 Board of Education
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty
- Feds: Hotel owners replaced legal workers with immigrants
- Kansas school funding dispute heading back to high court