A weekly look at area legislators’ votes on key issues in the Kansas Legislature
The Kansas House last week approved, 94-27, House Bill 2553, which would prohibit the Kansas Department of Revenue from entering into or renewing any contract that authorizes the renewal of drivers' licenses at the business location of any insurance provider authorized to sell motor vehicle liability insurance in Kansas.
The Revenue Department and AAA Kansas had begun a pilot project in which AAA offered the license renewal service. The Kansas Insurance Department, which supports the bill, maintains the program should be open to all insurers or none.
The bill has gone to the Senate, where it has been referred to committee for study.
A yes vote supported the prohibition; a no vote opposed the prohibition.
Here's how area House members voted:
Yes: Marti Crow, D-Leavenworth; Candy Ruff, D-Leavenworth; and Kenny Wilk, R-Lansing
No: Ray Cox, R-Bonner Springs
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Pick up a unique gift at an upcoming arts and crafts fair
- Kansas City Connection: It’s showtime for theater festivals
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center
- Kansas City Connection: 36 Months in Kansas City
- Topeka teens' music making rounds on Internet