District takes control of parent program
The Basehor-Linwood School District now has a Parents as Teachers program of its own.
Parents as Teachers is an international early-childhood education and family support program. It is designed to enhance child development and school achievement through parent education.
Monday night, the Basehor-Linwood School Board unanimously approved splitting its program from the Northeast Kansas Education Service Center, which coordinates Parents as Teachers for several school districts.
Local school officials said running the program without the assistance of the cooperative would be $1,800 more expensive, but the increase could be offset by acquiring grant money.
Also at the meeting, the board unanimously:
- Approved revisions to the communication arts curriculum.
- Awarded a bid to Sunflower Broadband for telecommunication service.
- Awarded a bid to Siemen's Building Technologies for a new clock system at Linwood Elementary School. The project is not to exceed $16,423.
- Approved extending a real estate contract by six months on district-owned property currently for sale near Glenwood Ridge Elementary School.
- Awarded bid for new security system at the high school to Siemen's Building Technologies. The contract is not to exceed $19,492.
- Approved these resignations: Alicia St. Clair, a kindergarten teacher and math aide at Glenwood Ridge; Carolyn Conklin, a counselor at Basehor-Linwood High School; and Leroy Scharnhorst, an assistant football coach at Basehor-Linwood Middle School.
- Approved the retirement of Carol Seivley, a health and physical education teacher at Linwood Elementary School and the middle school.
- Approved contracts and letters of employment for: Jennifer Lindelof, a kindergarten teacher at Glenwood Ridge; Margaret Covey, a secretary at Linwood elementary; Melissa Shoptese, a food service worker at the high school; Mary Kanm, a library aide at Glenwood Ridge; Jennifer Gilbert, a math aide at Glenwood Ridge; and Lyn Nahrebeski, a building technologies coordinator at Glenwood Ridge.