Archive for Monday, February 27, 2006

Plans under way to return duo to state

February 27, 2006

Authorities will make plans to return to Kansas the inmate who escaped from Lansing Correctional Facility and the woman accused of helping him.

John Manard, who was serving a life sentence for murder when he escaped Feb. 12 from Lansing, and Toby Young, the president of the Safe Harbor Prison Dog program at the prison, waived extradition in separate hearings Monday morning in Tennessee.

The two were captured Friday in Tennessee after a chase that included dozens of federal, state and local authorities.

Authorities believe Manard was hiding in a dog crate inside the Safe Harbor Prison Dog program's van on Feb. 12 when Young drove the van out of the prison. The two had eluded authorities until Friday.

Bill Miskell, a spokesman for the Kansas Department of Corrections, said authorities had not yet figured out details about the pair's return.

"We're awaiting word to determine when they will be brought back to Kansas," Miskell said late Monday morning. "Whether we (the Department of Corrections) will do the transporting or whether the U.S. Marshal's Service will do the transporting has not been determined yet."

Thus far, Young and Manard face charges in Kansas related to the escape. A Leavenworth County warrant charging Young with aiding and abetting aggravated escape and aiding a felon was issued Feb. 13. Manard faces escape charges in Leavenworth County.

James Cross, a spokesman for Eric Melgren, U.S. attorney for Kansas, said Monday afternoon it didn't appear likely at this time that Young and Manard would face federal charges related to the escape.

Miskell said it was standard procedure not to release prisoner transportation details.

"Once we do get them back to Kansas, we will certainly let everybody know," he said.

Young made her extradition hearing appearance in McMinn County Court in Athens, Tenn., and was returned to the county jail there awaiting pickup for her return to Kansas. Manard, who had shaved off a goatee and dyed his red hair since his escape, had appeared earlier about 45 miles away in Hamilton County Court in Chattanooga, Tenn.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.