Johnsmeyer Gym worth celebrating
Lansing High School students, fans and alumni will pay a posthumous tribute this week to Earl Johnsmeyer, a longtime coach, teacher and counselor at the school.
The school's gym will be rededicated officially in ceremonies Friday as "Earl W. Johnsmeyer Gymnasium."
Johnsmeyer came to Lansing in 1948, and his 1950 basketball team posted a school-best 29-1 record. Many longtime community members point to that team as a unifying force that ultimately led to the incorporation of Lansing as a city.
Johnsmeyer also was a founding member of the Lansing Kiwanis club, and the estate of Earl and Irene Johnsmeyer provides scholarship money each year for an LHS graduating senior.
Johnsmeyer's legacy in Lansing is unquestioned, and it is fitting, finally, to recognize him in this way.
More like this story
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Survivors of Jewish sites shooting victims plan remembrance