Lansing drummer makes state band
Lansing High School junior Adam New snared himself a spot in the State Festival Band on Saturday, Jan. 7, at the auditions in Salina.
New earned the position of third chair snare drum, LHS band director Luke Johnson said.
"It's quite an honor," Johnson said.
New competed with several hundred other students for a place in the state band. New and LHS sophomore Edwin Fluevog were selected in November for the Northeast District Honor Band, making them eligible to audition for the state band.
Johnson said New will practice with the state band Feb. 23-25 in Wichita and perform at a concert Feb. 25 during the Kansas Music Educators Association convention.
The State Festival Band will be directed this year by Barry E. Kopetz, Director of Bands, Professor of Conducting and Chair of the Department of Instrumental Performance at Capital University in Columbus, Ohio.
More like this story
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- Kansas Senate panel to consider expanding liquor licenses
- Face to Face: Bonner Springs librarian Jane Rink
- Face to Face: Basehor business owner Sarah McArdle
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues