Robert “Smitty” Smith
Leavenworth Services for retired U.S. Coast Guard Master Chief Petty Officer Robert "Smitty" E. Smith, 65, Leavenworth County, will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 17, at Fort Leavenworth Memorial Chapel. Burial with full military honors will follow at Leavenworth National Cemetery.
Master Chief Smith died Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2006.
He was born May 3, 1940, in Plainfield, N.J., the son of O.B. and A. Claire (Corcoran) Smith.
Master Chief Smith retired from the U.S. Coast Guard in 1984, after serving for more than 26 years.
On April 3, 1963, he married Linda J. Beasley in Chatham, Mass. She survives.
Other survivors include a daughter, Corinne J. Smith-Fitch, Shawnee, a son, Ralph E., Ketchikan, Alaska; a brother, James B., Taylors, S.C.; two sisters, Patricia A. Wheeler, Arbutus, Md., and Susan C. Smith, Catonsville, Md.; and two grandchildren.
The family will receive friends from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Jan. 16, at Belden-Sexton-Sumpter Funeral Chapel, Leavenworth.
The family suggests memorials to the Coast Guard Mutual Assistance, sent in care of the funeral chapel, 500 Oak St., Leavenworth 66048.
More like this story
- Royals legend helps Gold Glove Week thrive
- Insurance companies say 2014 exchange members older, sicker
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center
- Mature Living: Seniors who keep working are healthier, study says