Capitol Report for Jan. 26
The Senate last week amended and passed, 30-7, House Bill 2129, which would raise the compensation rate for attorneys, other than a public defender, representing indigent criminal defendants.
Currently the state pays $50 an hour for the services. HB 2129 would raise that amount to $80 an hour.
The bill, which was approved in the 2005 session by the House, now goes to a joint House-Senate conference committee.
A yes vote favored passage; a no vote was against passage.
Here's how area senators voted:
Yes: Mark Gilstrap, D-Kansas City; Roger Pine, R-Lawrence.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Don't be a stranger to this pie social
- Kansas City Connection: The Sundry shows off its suppliers
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Artist hopes Bonner's 'Marble Crazy' event broadens horizons
- Kansas City Connection: Fourth of July fireworks, folk art at the Nelson