Tough schedule will challenge Reds
Lansing High baseball coach Troy Andrews knows high school baseball teams aren't made between March and May. They're made between June and February.
That's why Andrews decided to coach the Lansing Reds 16-and-under American Legion team this summer. That's also why he beefed up their schedule with tough tournaments in Lawrence, Belton, Mo., and the Kansas City area.
"It doesn't do us any good to go out and beat young kids," Andrews said. "We need to play a level of competition that is a little bit better than us, and hopefully we can achieve that level of success later in the summer."
The Reds haven't tasted success yet. They're 0-6. They dropped four games last weekend at a tournament in Lawrence. They lost two more against St. Joe on Tuesday when they were defeated 13-2 and 8-2.
Lansing will play St. Joe at 9 and 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Joe.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center
- Basehor chamber brings circus to town Sept. 3
- Kansas City Connection: 'Christmas Cheer' from a new 'Nutcracker' to Charles Dickens
- Kansas City Connection: The art of ‘Rising Up,’ and visiting some old haunts
- Wyandotte County Fair schedule of events