State press association honors The Current
The Lansing Current's Web site and sportswriter Chris Wristen have won top honors in the Kansas Press Association's 2006 Awards of Excellence competition.
Wristen took first place in the for his sports column, "Under the Lights," and the newspaper's Web site, lansingcurrent.com, was named the best Web site in the nondaily mid-size newspaper division.
The awards will be presented April 22 during the association's convention in Wichita.
In addition to the first-place honors, the Current also placed in several other categories.
The newspaper took second place in design and layout excellence; editorial writing; and editorial pages. Third-place honors went to Katie Kritikos for her series taking a look at the 2005 school bond referendum; to Wristen for his sports feature story about former Lansing High School coach Earl Johnsmeyer, "Remembering a Legend"; and to the newspaper staff for its Lansing DAZE special section.
Wristen also was given honorable mentions in the youth story and sports story categories.
More like this story
- Kansas Legislature mulls slashing green energy incentives
- Generating change: Ag Hall looks to reinfuse energy with Barnyard Babies event
- Kansas House panel to vote on freezing green energy mandate
- Face to Face: Bonner Springs Senior Center's Gloria Ochoa
- Face to Face: Basehor business owner Sarah McArdle