LHS jazz band earns top scores
The Lansing High School Jazz Band received top ratings earlier this month at the Pittsburgh State University Jazz Festival.
The jazz band, in its first year at LHS, learned this week that it received all "1" ratings at the festival, which took place March 3. Junior Matt Fischer, alto saxophone, and senior Sean Wooley, trumpet, were nominated for outstanding musicianship awards for solos they performed at the festival.
The students had only been preparing their music for about two months before the competition, LHS band director Luke Johnson said.
Johnson said the students had the opportunity to hear other high school bands; a college band, Pitt State Jazz Band I; and a professional group, The Count Basie Orchestra.
More like this story
- Basehor recognizes police officers, public works employee who helped arrest sex offender
- Ray Cox remembered as truly dedicated to his community
- 86-year-old man dies in single-engine plane crash near Pratt
- Basehor-Linwood's Trowbridge wins national title
- Kansas logs first sighting of tropical piratic flycatcher