Cloviss E. Winkelman Curtiss will celebrate her 95th birthday March 31.
She was born March 31, 1911, in Tonganoxie. She was raised between Tonganoxie and Linwood and graduated from Linwood High School in 1929. She was a member of the first class to attend school all four years in Linwood's "new school."
She and Clarence Curtiss were married in 1935 in the Reno church. He died in 1989. Before they married, Mrs. Curtiss taught in rural schools in the area. In the 1940s, the couple moved to the Lansing area where they raised their two children and operated a grain operation and dairy farm.
Mrs. Curtiss is believed to be the oldest living female graduate of Linwood High School.
Mrs. Curtiss' family said a card shower to help her celebrate her birthday would be greatly enjoyed. She receives her mail at this address: 24132 139th Street, Leavenworth, 66048.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: More holiday events, tasty eats and food for your ears
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- Canoeists set new record in paddling from Kansas to Missouri
- Kansas City Connection: Farm-fresh flavor; Floyd’s ‘Dark Side’
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits