Not ‘Rural’ anymore
We're not "Rural" anymore.
That is what our high school was until 1965 when the schools consolidated. Students came from as far away as Fairmount, down Kansas Highway 5 including the Wolcott area, north to Morgantown and everything in between. When it came to school, they were all melted into one group of Lansing Rural High School students. Now the Lansing school district covers the same area but no longer called "Rural."
Lansing was made up of many areas that had different names. East of the Highway was known as the Town of Progress. At the east edge of the prison on Fourth Street were a row of brick homes where officers lived called Greenville, and that is where we played "kick the can" under the only streetlight at that end town in the 1930s. Town of Progress is still the official description on our property tax statement since we live east of the highway. In 1878, James W. Lansing Taylor and John C. Schmidt platted 90 acres of land West of the highway into lots and blocks and called it Lansing.
The election to incorporate in 1959 used the Delaware Township Sewer District boundaries. This was not a large area. The first City Council decided to go north to Eisenhower, which was then called Abernathy, to annex Richardson. This included the area between Kansas Highway 7 and K-5 from Carol Street to a block or two north of Eisenhower. A few of the people there had circulated a petition to come into Lansing. They also annexed Morgantown along K-5 north of Richardson.
There was a grade school in Richardson, but some of the students came to Lansing Grade School. Now, the city limits still do not extend as far north, south, east or west as the school district does.
When Lansing incorporated, the city limits on Ida Street only went about a half a block west of Main Street or Highway 7. After a few homes, everything west consisted of large farms. Some of our earliest residential areas were Adams Acres to the west, Country Club Addition and Holiday Hills to the north and Jameswood Subdivision south of Mary Street that was the Jameson Farm. The Jameson home was located where our present Overlook Restaurant is now.
I've seen a lot of change in our little town, and it is not about to stop.