Veterans Day Parade is Saturday
"In Support of America" is the theme of this year's Veterans Day parade in downtown Leavenworth.
The parade, the largest Veterans Day parade west of the Mississippi River, will begin at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 11. Sponsors are Leavenworth's veterans organizations.
Troopers of the 9th and 10th (horse) Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers will serve as grand marshals for this year's parade.
A cannon provided by the Sons of Confederate Veterans will sound at 10:59 a.m. to temporarily stop the parade, and taps will play at 11 a.m.
Immediately following taps, a "swearing in" of new recruits to their perspective branches will take place in front of the parade's reviewing stand.
More like this story
- Dirty politics nothing new, even in Bonner Springs
- Fascinating fasteners: Bonner woman shares button hobby through 'traveling museum'
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Adult students find success with Bonner-based diploma completion program
- International tragedy led to lasting local legacy for Boy Scouts