Veterans Day Parade is Saturday
"In Support of America" is the theme of this year's Veterans Day parade in downtown Leavenworth.
The parade, the largest Veterans Day parade west of the Mississippi River, will begin at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 11. Sponsors are Leavenworth's veterans organizations.
Troopers of the 9th and 10th (horse) Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers will serve as grand marshals for this year's parade.
A cannon provided by the Sons of Confederate Veterans will sound at 10:59 a.m. to temporarily stop the parade, and taps will play at 11 a.m.
Immediately following taps, a "swearing in" of new recruits to their perspective branches will take place in front of the parade's reviewing stand.
More like this story
- Basehor business owner combines love of billiards, country
- Man injured after his handgun goes off in Kansas theater
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center
- Kansas logs first sighting of tropical piratic flycatcher
- Smart phone purchase leaves operator feeling dumb