LMS raises $1,878 for orphan program
Lansing Middle School students in IDEA, the gifted program at LMS, raised $1,878 in October during a benefit dance for South African orphans.
Kathy Ray, IDEA facilitator, said profits from admission fees and concession sales would buy food and clothing for Lisakhanya Khonzani, an orphan adopted by IDEA, and other orphans through Oceans of Mercy.
Launched in 2002 by Schaun Colin, of Shawnee, Oceans of Mercy is a nonprofit, nondenominational Christian organization that offers shelter, education and healthcare to orphaned children at its Oceans of Mercy Village in Port Elizabeth.
IDEA students also plan to send a Christmas care package to Lisakhanya that includes letters and Lansing mementos.
More like this story
- State officials ready to work with Bonner Springs's K-7 requests
- Bonner drama club provides performance outlet for secondary students
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers