LMS raises $1,878 for orphan program
Lansing Middle School students in IDEA, the gifted program at LMS, raised $1,878 in October during a benefit dance for South African orphans.
Kathy Ray, IDEA facilitator, said profits from admission fees and concession sales would buy food and clothing for Lisakhanya Khonzani, an orphan adopted by IDEA, and other orphans through Oceans of Mercy.
Launched in 2002 by Schaun Colin, of Shawnee, Oceans of Mercy is a nonprofit, nondenominational Christian organization that offers shelter, education and healthcare to orphaned children at its Oceans of Mercy Village in Port Elizabeth.
IDEA students also plan to send a Christmas care package to Lisakhanya that includes letters and Lansing mementos.
More like this story
- State officials ready to work with Bonner Springs's K-7 requests
- Backyard Beauty: Basehor area resident turns yard into wildlife habitat
- Hollywood Casino delays start of hotel project
- Generating change: Ag Hall looks to reinfuse energy with Barnyard Babies event
- Bonner drama club provides performance outlet for secondary students