Archive for Thursday, November 30, 2006

Fight breaks out during youth football game at Field of Dreams

November 30, 2006

Sheriff's officers were called Sunday to Basehor Field of Dreams - about six months after a baseball umpire took shelter in a concession stand to escape an unruly coach and fans.

On Sunday, during a youth football game, a player went out of bounds on a play. A 17-year-old spectator said the player deliberately tried to strike him as he went out of bounds, sheriff's reports said.

While the player was on the ground, the 17-year-old started kicking the player. The referee, a 37-year-old Kansas City, Kan., man, threw a penalty flag to have the spectator removed.

The spectator then threw the flag at the referee and challenged him to a fight. According to the sheriff's report, the referee accepted the challenge.

At that point, the 17-year-old, along with a 30-year-old Holton woman and her husband, attacked the referee, the report said. Sheriff's office spokesman Leonard Ayres said Tuesday that it's thought that the 17-year-old is from Kansas City, Kan.

Ayres said it was unknown what age group was playing at the tournament, although youth football normally includes players in the sixth grade and younger.

The report said that more spectators were thought to have joined in, but the case still is under investigation.

An attempt to reach a coordinator for football games at Field of Dreams was unsuccessful.

Last May, in a baseball game between two Kansas City-area 12-and-younger teams, an umpire called a runner out at home plate for not sliding during a collision with the catcher.

After the call, the umpire dealt with several angry protesters, as well as the third-base coach of the player who was thrown out. The umpire then retreated to a concession stand in the middle of the complex, where other umpires stood guard until law enforcement officials arrived.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.