10 Years Ago
December 19, 1996
Bonner Springs High School students held a successful community service project to gather clothing and other items for Vaughn-Trent Community Services, Inc. Students shown in a photo with some of the items were: Pooh Warner, Candice Frazey, Brandi Grabmiller, Kevin Hubbel, Brian DeGraeve, Hollie Journey, Amber Gillespie, Amber Still-Schader and Tadd Schneider.
The Bonner Springs-Edwardsville division of the United Way exceeded its goal and raised $83,170. Nick Gordon was drive chairperson.
The Basehor-Linwood Board of Education approved an expenditure of $20,697 for band equipment.
25 Years Ago
December 17, 1981
Jerry McGee was honored by the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Chamber of Commerce for his service to the community. He was retiring from Kansas Power and Light Co.
The I-435 bridge over the Kaw River was opened, linking Wyandotte County and Johnson County.
The annual Christmas open house was under way at the Grinter House.
Reece Kuhn, volunteer driver, was shown in a photo with the new Tiblow Transit van.
Merle Schneck was the guest speaker at the Bonner Springs Optimist Club. He discussed his solar home.
Tony Stanberry, Basehor-Linwood superintendent of schools, became commander of the 2nd Battalion, 69th Infantry, Kansas National Guard.
New directors of the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Chamber of Commerce were: Jerry Bredwell, Dan Byers, Floyd Wolrab and Steve Walker.
50 Years Ago
December 13, 1956
James J. Whitehead, Bonner Springs Rural High School superintendent, was elected president of he Kansas Teachers Association.
D.W. Hininger was re-elected president of the Wyandotte County Fair Association.
The piano students of Mrs. C.H. Branson presented their winter recital.
The Bonner Springs City Council gave a cereal malt beverage license to Charles Shuster to operate a tavern on Oak Street.
Mrs. Robert Boyce Jr. was hostess for the regular meeting of the Bonner Springs Literary Society.
Cleve Brockover was the new worshipful master of the Bonner Springs Masonic Lodge. Mrs. Ruth Morris was the new worthy matron of the Bonner Springs Eastern Star.
George D. Bell, Wyandotte County superintendent of schools, was the host to a holiday party for school principals.
100 Years Ago
December 13, 1906
There were 140 accredited high schools in Kansas.
Pastor Otho C. Moomaw, First Christian Church, urged persons to give a silver offering to benefit the poor in Bonner Springs.
Mrs. Wigelmesser sold her farm to W.C. Wilson for $60 per acre.
An employee at the Loring Quarry fell from a railroad handcar and was run over. He was only slightly injured.
Luther Taylor, pitcher for the New York Giants, became a resident and merchant in Bonner Springs. He planned to build a new home in the spring.
O.K. Williamson, Edwardsville, was sent by the railroad to Indian Territory to supervise construction work.
J.C. Winston, Neconi School principal, resigned to take a civil service job.