Early voting kicks off this week; registration books close on Monday
Advance voting for the Nov. 7 election got under way Wednesday at the Leavenworth County Courthouse.
Voting machines are set up at County Clerk Linda Scheer's first-floor office. The courthouse is at 300 Walnut in Leavenworth.
In addition, voters can obtain advance-voting applications by:
- Calling Scheer's office -- (800) 250-2057 -- and asking staffers to send an application.
- Visiting the county's Web site -- leavenworthcounty.org -- and downloading an application.
The deadline to vote in advance in person at the clerk's office is noon Nov. 6. And Nov. 3 is the deadline for voters to apply for advance voting ballots to be mailed to them.
"The day we get applications in, we try to get them out that day," Scheer said.
Advance ballots that were mailed to voters must be returned to the Leavenworth County clerk's office by 7 p.m. Election Day, which is Nov. 7.
On Tuesday, Scheer said workers in her office planned to mail more than 900 advance ballots the next day to potential voters.
Meanwhile, voter registration continues in Leavenworth County until 5 p.m. Monday. After Monday, registration books will be closed until after the Nov. 2 election.
Anyone who is 18 is eligible to register. In addition, anyone who has changed his or her name or who has moved is required to re-register.
In addition to advance voting information, the county's Web site also lists sample ballots.
And for those folks who want to look past the Nov. 7 election to the spring, when several school board and city council seats will be up for election, here are some details:
- The filing deadline is Jan. 23.
- A primary election, if necessary, is Feb. 27.
- The general election is April 3.
In Tonganoxie, city council seats held by Velda Roberts and Ron Cranor will be up for election. The city council is elected by all voters in the city, not by districts.
Mayor Dave Taylor's seat also is up for election.
And on the Tonganoxie school board, positions held by these board members are up for election: Diane Truesdell, position No. 1; Ron Moore, position No. 2; Leanna Leslie, position No. 3; Kay Smith, position No. 5; and Richard Dean, at-large.
Advance voting starts
- Applications are available at county's web site: www.leavenworthcounty.org, or in person at the courthouse in Leavenworth and at the Leavenworth County Annex at U.S. Highway 24-40 and Laming Road in Tonganoxie.
- The county clerk's office will not mail advance ballots after Nov. 3.
- All advance ballots that are mailed must be received in the election office before 7 p.m. on Election day, Nov. 7
- Advance voting in person will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in the office of the Leavenworth County Clerk and closes at noon on Monday, Nov. 6. The in-person advance voting can not be done in the county annex.