Turbo Turtle Trek to benefit Tiny-K
Leavenworth County Infant-Toddler Services' Tiny-K program will have its fourth annual Turbo Turtle Trek at 10 a.m. Aug. 25 at Leavenworth Country Club Swimming Pool, 455 W. Eisenhower Road in Lansing.
The event features a plastic turtle race. Anyone can "adopt" a plastic turtle for $5, and whoever adopts the winning turtle will win two roundtrip AirTrain Airways tickets. The second-place winner will receive a one-night stay in a family suite at Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City, Kan. The top 30 finishers will win prizes.
The event will benefit the Tiny-K program, which provides free therapy services to Leavenworth County children, ages birth to 3, with special needs or developmental delays.
The Leavenworth County Fair, Aug. 7-11, will allow visitors to adopt turtles. The turtles can also be adopted at First State Bank & Trust locations in Lawrence, Basehor and Tonganoxie; Clearwater Pool and Spas, 901 S. Fourth St. in Leavenworth; and Nurturing Families Inc., 3400 S. Trafficway Suite C in Leavenworth. Remaining turtles will be up for adoption from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. the day of the race.
More like this story
- 2 Topeka nursing homes, Washburn partner on internships
- Retiring nurse last original employee of Bonner nursing facility
- Kansas allows driver's license changes for same-sex spouses
- Leavenworth County offers training in identifying signs of child abuse
- Few original Brownback cabinet secretaries remain