10 Years Ago
December 11, 1997
Lolli Davis was named branch manager at Bank Midwest-Edwardsville. Frances Caenen was named manager of the new Mutual Savings Association branch in Bonner Springs.
The investigation of an arson fire at the Basehor United Methodist Church continued.
U.S Rep. Vince Snowbarger spoke to students at Bonner Springs High School.
Nick Gordon was elected president of the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Chamber of Commerce.
The Bonner Springs Centennial Committee started a sale of centennial calendars as a fund-raising project. Much of the work on the calendar was done by Rebecca Barber who spent hours checking old editions of the Chieftain to find historic dates.
25 Years Ago
December 9, 1982
Diane Toland, board member, presided at dedication ceremonies for the addition at Edwardsville Elementary School. Dr. Ted Stolfus, board member, officially dedicated the building.
The Bonner Springs High School Booster Club gave the community a Christmas president. The club was giving free tickets to the Bonner Springs-Ottawa girls basketball team. Gene Shevling was president of the club.
Jerold Fletcher scored 16 points as the Bonner Springs High School freshmen defeated Highland, 50-38. Rodney McConico had 11 points and Greg Cop added nine points for the frosh.
Four Edwardsville youth participated in the Kansas State-Wisconsin Holiday Bowl game and festivities. Mark Newton was a member of the Wildcat football team and Toby Harmon was a trainer. Janie Ochoa was a member ot the drill team and Jan Ballou as a member of the flag corp.
50 Years Ago
December 12, 1957
Robert Boyce Jr. and Clyde Herrin, Bonner Springs High School seniors, were semifinalists for the National Merit Scholarship.
Mrs. Fred Olney was elected president of the Bonner Springs Past Noble Grands. Miss Chessie Evans was the new vice president.
Mickey Dale scored nine points for the Bonner Springs Braves in a 67-41 loss to Spring Hill in the season's opening game.
McDanield Elementary School held its Christmas program directed by Mrs. Jack Hunsley and Mrs. Fern Baldwin.
Don Brauer, Bonner Springs city marshal, discovered a mailbox floating in the Kaw River. He lassoed the box and pulled it to shore.
100 Years Ago
December 12, 1907
The Edwardsville Sauerkraut factory completed its operations for the season. The plant contracted for 180 acres of cabbage for 1908.
Bishop Lillis of the Leavenworth diocese gave a lecture on religious subjects at the Bonner Springs Opera House.
A cornerstone laying project was planned for the new Masonic Temple at Third and Oak Streets. Grand Master M.E. Wellington was in charge of the ceremony.
The McDanield Electric Railroad announced plans to start service by Jan. 1.
The Division Two Methodist Women's Auxiliary held a meeting at the home of Mrs. W.S. Twist.
The Methodist Church parsonage was completed and the Rev. Daniel started moving into the residence
J.H. Murphy purchased the Zumwalt farm in the Loring area.