STORIES OF THE YEAR: LHS volleyball 4th at state
All season long the Lansing High volleyball team was compared to the best squad in school history.
The 2007 Lions had numerous similarities to the 2002 team that won the Class 4A state title. Both teams won undefeated Kaw Valley League championships. Both teams had senior-laden rosters that were jam-packed with experience. Both teams won oodles of games.
The differences were the 2007 edition became the first squad in program to win 40 matches in a season, it competed in Class 5A and it didn't win a state championship.
Lansing returned to the state tournament for the first time since 2004, and it won a state match for the first time in 5A on its way to a fourth-place finish and 40-5 record.
The strong showing at state brought to a close the careers of seniors Kristen Jensen, Sara Logan, Katie Nietzke, Morgan Chiles and Erin Griffen, but it should serve as inspiration for All-State performers Julia Bates and Brittney Lang and teammates Breanne Sanders, Rachel Milnark and Lisa Angello to strive for even more in 2008.
More like this story
- City budget suggestions cause conflict on Shawnee council
- Audit finds UMKC business school ran up deficit to boost ranking
- Kansas firm criticized for plan to hike electric rates $152 million
- Large, $4.7M bulk solids research plant opens in Salina
- Kansas Wesleyan unveils new majors, changes to curriculum