Junior varsity girls run winning streak to 5
The Lansing High junior varsity girls basketball team ran its winning streak to five games Tuesday night with a 39-29 victory over Bishop Ward at Johnsmeyer Gymnasium.
Freshman Abbey Lozenski led LHS with 11 points, sophomore Cassandra Murphy scored seven and four other players had four in the victory.
The winning streak was in jeopardy early. The Lions didn't take care of the ball in the first quarter and they were outscored 9-2.
LHS came back in the second quarter. A three-pointer by Lozenski sparked the rally, and three free throws by Murphy sent the game into halftime tied at 16-all.
A three-pointer by Lozenski 10 seconds into the third quarter ignited a 12-0 run that appeared to put the game out of reach. Ward went four minutes without a point, but once it scored it immediately went on a 12-0 run of its own and tied the game at 28-all with 6:26 left in the fourth quarter.
Two free throws by freshman Kari Kelly and a layup by sophomore Katie Cristiano allowed the Lions to regain control of the game. They finished on an 11-2 run.
Lansing (8-3) next plays at 4:30 p.m. Friday at Tonganoxie. Two of the Lions' losses this year are to the Chieftains.
More like this story
- Organization Orientation: Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Kiwanis Club
- Birthday brings awareness of technological, societal progress
- Face to Face: Basehor business owner Sarah McArdle
- International tragedy led to lasting local legacy for Boy Scouts
- 'Dead ball' no more: homers a more frequent highlight of baseball