Lansing man 2nd at Groundhog Run
Sam Volkman, a 34-year-old Lansing resident, placed second overall in the men's 10-kilometer run at the annual Groundhog Run on Sunday, Jan. 28.
The race took place underground at the Hunt Midwest Subtropolis in Kansas City, Mo. Volkman covered the course in 33 minutes, 11 seconds. He finished 23 seconds behind winner John Straubel, 34, of Kansas City, Mo.
Lansing resident Oliver Haase also competed in the race. He finished 188th overall in 47:33. A total of 773 runners competed in the 10K.
A five-kilometer race also took place and 1,683 runners participated. Nine of those participants were Lansing residents. Margaret Johnson finished in 25:14, Shanna Schneller in 26:40, Tom Meara in 26:49, Jared Lugrain in 27:19, Joyce Lugrain in 27:22, Bryce Mann in 28:28, Stacy Seaworth in 28:29, Vickie Kelly in 20:27 and Robin Griffen in 30:28.
More like this story
- 8 years after tornado, Greensburg to have theater again
- Generating change: Ag Hall looks to reinfuse energy with Barnyard Babies event
- Bonner-based interior designer loves to reshape spaces
- Large, $4.7M bulk solids research plant opens in Salina
- Kansas City streetcar construction to finish this fall