Virginia McKay Johson
Memorial services for Virginia "Ginny" McKay Johnson, 72, Leavenworth, were Saturday, Dec. 30, at the Main Post Chapel, Fort Leaven-worth, with burial at Leaven-worth National Cemetery.
Mrs. Johnson died Friday, Dec. 22, 2006, in Salina after a brief illness.
She was born April 3, 1934, in Faulkton, S.D., the daughter of A.M. and Helen McKay. She attended public school in Orient, S.D., before graduating from Miller High School, Miller, S.D., and the University of South Dakota, Vermillion, S.D.
Mrs. Johnson was the typical Army wife, living and raising her family in Kentucky, Colorado, Alabama, Texas, Germany, Virginia, South Dakota and Kansas.
Upon moving to Leaven-worth in 1975, she became involved in multiple community activities, including helping out with the Fort Leavenworth Swim Club, of which her daughters were members. For several years she was manager of the Fort Leavenworth Thrift Shop. In December 1985, she opened Ginny's Antiques.
Mrs. Johnson was an ardent member and supporter of the Leavenworth Historical Society and for many years helped organize and orchestrate Carroll Mansion fund-raisers, such as the Christmas Vintage Homes Tours and Spring Herb Markets.
She was a member of Pi Beta Phi sorority, P.E.O. Chapter EO, Preservation Alliance of Leaven-worth, Vintage Homes Society, Master Gardeners and Leaven-worth County Historical Society. She served on numerous local boards and committees.
On Aug. 8, 1955, she married James C. Johnson. He survives.
Other survivors include a son, Brian W., Prairieville, La.; and two daughters, Veronica L. Norris, Salina, and Jill L. Johnson, Moscow, Idaho; five granddaughters; two grandsons, and a sister, Judith McKay Dixon, Miranda, S.D,
The family suggests memorials to Leavenworth County Historical Society, sent in care of Davis Funeral Chapel, 531 Shawnee, Leavenworth 66048.