Freshman boys trip Turner
Kozak pours in 19 as Lions roll to second victory
The Lansing High freshman boys basketball team enjoyed a comfortable nine-point lead at halftime Friday against Turner, but that wasn't good enough for the Lions.
Now a 32-point third-quarter explosion? That's more like it.
Lansing used the offensive outburst to put the game well out of reach and claim a 67-33 victory.
Ben Kozak led the way for LHS with a game-high 19 points. James Johnson scored 12 points and Richie O'Donnell added nine. Other scorers were Kurt Weber (6), Brian Beall (5), Kenneth Ritchie (5), Austin Taylor (4), Tyler Gates (3), Travon Hunt (2) and Jacob Davis (2).
Lansing (2-3) surged to a 13-5 lead in the first quarter but only outscored Turner by a point in the second quarter. Kozak, Johnson and O'Donnell ignited the third-quarter eruption as the Lions outscored the Golden Bears 32-8 and put the game out of reach.
The LHS freshmen are off for the next week before playing Jan. 22, 24 and 27 in the Lansing Freshman Tournament.
More like this story
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Judge won't hear retrial of man who punched his attorney
- Community walk to mark 1-year anniversary of shootings at Jewish sites
- Feds: Hotel owners replaced legal workers with immigrants