Flynn wins Classic in a classic
LHS junior knocks off top-seed in sudden-death overtime to claim 145-pound title
Basehor It took 8 1/2 minutes, but Lansing High junior Nick Flynn pulled off the surprise of the tournament when he knocked off top-seed Mark Millstead of St. Thomas Aquinas in the 145-pound finals on Saturday at the Bobcat Classic.
Flynn's victory, a 5-4 decision in sudden-death overtime, brought most of the gymnasium to its feet in approval while the legion of Aquinas fans booed.
One thing was certain after the match, however. Flynn capped off the best weekend of wrestling in his career in stellar fashion. In addition to beating Millstead, the same wrestler whom teammate Kyle Buehler beat in the state finals last year, Flynn also defeated Chapman senior Jon Arveson in the semifinals. Arveson placed third at state in Class 4A last year.
In addition to Flynn, two other Lansing wrestlers medaled at the tournament. Junior Dennis Wood placed third at 103 pounds and Buehler placed third at 140.
For a full recap of the Bobcat Classic, pick up the Jan. 18 edition of The Current. Video footage also will be available on lansingcurrent.com on Jan. 18.
More like this story
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Edwardsville councilman accused of making racist statements
- Kansas House committee delays review of Democrat's remarks
- Edwardsville police implement new body cameras for officers
- High court to hear Kansas plea to reinstate death sentences