Cubs collect first wins of summer
It's not quite a hot streak, but the Lansing Cubs are simmering after picking up their first victories of the summer last week.
The Cubs split a doubleheader with the Easton Lions on Wednesday, June 20, with a 13-5 victory in the opener and a 9-8 loss in the nightcap. The Cubs then split with Tonganoxie Post 41 on Sunday, winning game one by an 8-4 score before falling 14-2 in the second game.
"They're a lot more confident in the field," Cubs coach Michael Smith said of his squad, which improved to 2-13 after dropping their first 11 games of the summer. "Unfortunately we're still having that one bad inning with two outs where the floodgates open against us, but that's just a lot of mental preparation, which will come as they play more and, more importantly, as they play more together. But we're getting better."
The Cubs next play in the Lansing Tournament at Lansing High School. The tournament runs through Sunday, and their first game is at 4 p.m. today against the Lansing Reds.
More like this story
- Kansas GOP touts school funding law; districts look to cut
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Jeanette Klamm, USD 458 Board of Education
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Gary Johnson, USD 458 Board of Education
- Brownback urges Kansas House to pass GOP school funding plan
- New Kansas schools plan has funds for budget emergencies