Beemer to run at nationals
Julia Beemer, an eighth-grader at Lansing Middle School, placed third in the four-kilometer race on Nov. 17 at the Missouri Valley USATF Cross Country Championships at Rim Rock Farm in Lawrence.
Beemer finished in an impressive 17 minutes, 11.89 seconds, and qualified for the USATF National Junior Olympic Cross Country Championships on Dec. 8, also at Rim Rock Farm.
Rim Rock Farm was the site of the 1983, 1991 and 1995 Big Eight Conference Championships, as well as the 1998 NCAA Cross Country Championships. It is the site of the Kansas Class 5A and 6A high school state championships every year.
Beemer plans to run cross country for Lansing High next fall. Her time at the Missouri Valley Championships would have placed 53rd at the Class 5A state meet this year.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Officials fear Kansas is complacent about tornado season
- Basehor-Linwood students cover state tourney run with help from community
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary