Archive for Thursday, September 6, 2007

Basehor edges Lansing in another tight KVL showdown

September 6, 2007

— If Basehor-Linwood's ultra-narrow soccer field gave the Lansing High boys trouble Wednesday night, it certainly wasn't obvious.

Lansing dropped a 4-3 decision despite outshooting Basehor by a 19-14 margin.

"We had plenty of opportunities, but we were putting them over," LHS coach Randy Brown said. "We weren't putting them on goal. If we would've put some in, the whole tide would have changed. Everything would have been different.

"Of course when you're playing catch-up you make some mistakes, and we did. You can't make mistakes against a team that's psyched up and ready to play. We had a chance to put them away, and we didn't do it."

Lansing's first chance came 25 seconds into the game when junior Robin Beemer fed a long pass to senior Ben Hancock. Hancock had a one-on-one run at the Basehor goalkeeper, but Hancock's shot was blocked. Basehor took the ball back the other way and scored moments later as Ryan Sirridge scored a second-minute goal.

After a series of shots from point-blank range that the Lions failed to put on target, they tied the game in the 23rd minute when senior Chance Thackston led a break down the middle of the field and slipped a pass to his right. That pass hit Hancock in stride, and he chipped it over the goalkeeper and into the net from about 18 yards out.

Basehor regained the lead in the 35th minute when Tanner Bowers' freekick found Sam Seaman in front of the goal. Seaman played it off the bounce and knocked it in for a 2-1 Bobcat lead that stood through halftime.

Thackston notched his second assist of the game less than seven minutes into the second half when he fed a pass to junior Clayton Hall for a goal from 15 yards out. Both teams had a series of scoring opportunities after that, but neither converted until the 64th minute. Hall was called for a foul in the box when he grabbed Bowers' jersey from behind on a breakaway. Bowers was awarded a penalty kick, which he drilled into the bottom left corner for a 3-2 Basehor lead. Hall made up for his mistake eight minutes later by tying the game with a goal on a line-drive shot from 25 yards out.

The score remained tied for just 43 seconds. The Lions' let their guard down after the goal, and the Bobcats punished them instantly as Sirridge sprinted through the defense and ripped a shot that dove just inside the far post for a 4-3 lead.

The tight match seems to indicate just how tough the Kaw Valley League is again this year. Mill Valley, Basehor and Lansing were the league's top three teams last year. Basehor has beaten both Mill Valley and LHS this season, and Lansing has one-goal losses to both schools.

Brown said he isn't surprised at how good the league is - and Basehor in particular.

"There's some teams that are playing real well in the Kaw Valley, and Basehor's obviously one of them," he said. "Our hats go off to them. They did a great job tonight. They took care of business and we didn't, so there's some things that we've got to do to make sure we're going to be able to take care of business down the road."

Lansing (2-2 overall, 2-2 KVL) next plays at 6 p.m. Tuesday against Maranatha Academy. The game originally was slated for 4:30 p.m., but it was pushed back once Maranatha found enough players to field a junior varsity squad. The JV game will take place at 4:30.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.