Bigs in Schools seeks volunteers
The Leavenworth County Big Brothers Big Sisters program will be visiting local schools throughout September to raise awareness of its Bigs in Schools program.
The school-based program pairs volunteers with at-risk students in their community to help them with homework or play games. The "Big" and "Little" meet at the child's school during the lunch hour or after school.
There are more than 50 children in the area waiting to be paired with a "Big." More than three-fourths of those waiting for a mentor are boys so male volunteers are in high demand.
For more information abut the Bigs in Schools program or how you can get involved, call 1-888-KS4-BIGS or visit www.ksbbbd.org.
You can also check with your school to see if a Big Brothers Big Sisters representative will be visiting anytime soon.
More like this story
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Kansas Legislature mulls slashing green energy incentives
- Kansas House passes bill to authorize $1.5B in pension bonds
- Kansas Senate approves plan to control mental health drugs
- Kansas officials hope budget puzzle pieces drop into place