Craig, Jaqua have career days at Gardner
Sophomore two-milers Brandon Craig and Lauren Jaqua were the Lansing High track team's peak performers on Friday at the Blazer Invitational at Gardner-Edgerton High School.
Craig set a personal best in the 3,200-meter run by 10 seconds when he raced to a third-place finish in 10 minutes, 29.60 seconds. He also finished third in the 1,600 in 4:52.
Meanwhile, Jaqua knocked 12 seconds off of her previous best in the 3,200 when she finished third in 12:12.
Jaqua's performance helped the LHS girls finish seventh in the team standings. The Lansing boys were eighth.
Craig and Jaqua were the only LHS medalists in a meet that was dominated by Class 6A power Olathe East. The Lions had other individual placers, however.
Brenton Smith was fifth in the 400 in 54.06 and Aaron Potter was seventh in 55.12; Bobby Hauver was fifth in the pole vault with a clearance of 12-0; the 400 relay team was sixth in 46.10 and the 3,200 relay team placed sixth in 9:31.
For the girls, Jen Totleben was seventh in the 100 in 13.27 and seventh in the 200 in 28.36; Kate Meara was fourth in the 400 in 1:06.40 and Amanda Mitchell was seventh in 1:08.67; Julia Winkler was seventh in the 3,200 in 13:32 - a personal best by seven seconds; the 400 relay team placed sixth in 53:37; the 3,200 relay team placed fifth in 11:09; and Alexis Ellis was fifth in the discus with a toss of 96-2.
More like this story
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Tonganoxie police investigating sexual assault case involving 13-year-old
- Basehor recognizes police officers, public works employee who helped arrest sex offender
- Off-duty Shawnee firefighter administers CPR to 4-year-old at Tonganoxie Water Park
- Two Basehor men killed in Saturday crash near Eudora