10 Years Ago
(August 20, 1998)
As part of the Bonner Springs Centennial celebration, the Bonner Springs City Library was selling T-shirts for a fundraising project.
The Bonner Springs Holiday Inn Express had a successful opening.
Dr. Mike Teeple opened the Teeple Chiropractic Clinic in Edwardsville.
Steve Costa was the new principal at Basehor-Linwood High School.
Greg Laffere, Basehor-Linwood graduate, was an offensive lineman for the Miami University Hurricanes football team.
The Bonner Springs City Council continued its search for a new city manager by paring the list of candidates from 49 to 11.
25 Years Ago
(August 18, 1983)
Plant employees and wholesale route drivers of the Meyer Dairy in Basehor were on strike.
Shelley Carson and John Hale won the Kaw Valley Tennis League doubles title.
Al Morey was the Bonner Springs High School cross country coach.
Mayor Lindy Trent announced a groundbreaking ceremony for the proposed new ball parks.
Tom Dougherty, Bonner Springs police officer, participated in a ceremony at the Chiefs-Detroit Lions exhibition game to start the 1983 Chiefs Crime Prevention trading cards program.
The Bonner Springs Optimist Club announced plans to operate a beer sales booth during the Tiblow Days celebration.
Smithy McWashington was chairperson for the Bonner Springs NAACP annual freedom fund dinner. Pauline Thompson was program chairperson.
50 Years Ago
(August 21, 1958)
The union and management at Lone Star Cement Co. reached an agreement on a new contract.
Mr. and Mrs. Earl Malone celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
An open house was planned at the Elm Grove School.
Dr. Ernest Mitts and Dr. Kenneth May announced they had purchased property on Nettleton with plans for a possible expansion.
The Rev. W. M. McDonald was chairman of the third annual NAACP banquet. Mrs. Helen Ellis and Mrs. Roy Wade were senior supervisors for the NAACP Youth Council.
A recital for piano students of Mrs. Robert Einhelig was planned.
The Frontier Days celebration was planned and featured a horse show conducted by the Kaw Valley Riders.
100 Years Ago
(August 20, 1908)
W.H. Winants, one of Kansas City's leading financiers, was elected president of the Bonner Springs Hotel and Bath House. The name was changed to Bonner Springs Resort Co. J.E. McDanield was vice president and general manager.
The Christian Endeavor added 60 new members since the start of the year.
Olathe city officials seized 30 cases of beer shipped from Kansas City, Mo. Apparently, someone stole the beer while it was being unloaded.
T. W. McClure said that 18 lots had been sold in the Simpson Park Subdivision in just a three-week period.
The City Council heard complaints about the condition of the board sidewalk between the Clark Building and the school. Boards were missing and some were rotted out.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Basehor's 10th annual Dairy Days looking for sunny skies
- Artist hopes Bonner's 'Marble Crazy' event broadens horizons
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament