Basehor resident receives Boy Scout’s highest honor
Basehor resident Alec R. Smith, 14, received his Eagle Scout Award on Nov. 2 at the Holy Angels Catholic Church.
Smith is a member of Troop 169 chartered by the First Baptist Church of Basehor. He is one of 4 percent of all Boy Scouts who receive the Eagle rank. Each Boy Scout eligible for the Eagle rank must earn 21 merit badges and complete a project of service for a community church or synagogue.
He earned 37 merit badges as a Boy Scout, and he organized and manned the construction of an1880s-style storefront display at the Basehor Historical Museum.
Smith, a Basehor-Linwood freshman, is a member of Holy Angels Catholic Church and participates in debate and scholar bowl. He is the son of James and Laura Smith of Basehor.
More like this story
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits