Basehor resident receives Boy Scout’s highest honor
Basehor resident Alec R. Smith, 14, received his Eagle Scout Award on Nov. 2 at the Holy Angels Catholic Church.
Smith is a member of Troop 169 chartered by the First Baptist Church of Basehor. He is one of 4 percent of all Boy Scouts who receive the Eagle rank. Each Boy Scout eligible for the Eagle rank must earn 21 merit badges and complete a project of service for a community church or synagogue.
He earned 37 merit badges as a Boy Scout, and he organized and manned the construction of an1880s-style storefront display at the Basehor Historical Museum.
Smith, a Basehor-Linwood freshman, is a member of Holy Angels Catholic Church and participates in debate and scholar bowl. He is the son of James and Laura Smith of Basehor.
More like this story
- Kansas Board of Education to examine school laws, bonds
- Kansas GOP touts school funding law; districts look to cut
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises
- Basehor, Bonner districts agree: Block grant funding unfair
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Jeanette Klamm, USD 458 Board of Education