Archive for Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Remember When

December 24, 2008

10 Years Ago

(Dec. 24, 1998)

The Basehor-Linwood Board of Education accepted the low bid of $6.56 million from Titan Midwest for its school improvement projects.

Jolene Treff and Travis Ashlock were crowned as Basehor-Linwood courtwarming royalty.

The Bonner Springs City Council gave final approval for the construction of the new Price Chopper store. In addition, the council thanked Tom Cooley, city manager, for his service. He retired at the end of the year.

25 Years Ago

(Dec. 29, 1983)

The Pioneer Junior High Student Council delivered baskets to needy families in the community. Tara McCrink, president, and Lillie Abbott, vice principal and counselor, were shown in a photo loading the baskets.

Bitterly cold weather resulted in school closings and postponement of sports events in Bonner Springs, Edwardsville, Basehor and Linwood.

Jason Bowman received the Cub Scout Medal of Merit for his quick action, which saved a friend from drowning.

50 Years Ago

(Jan. 1, 1959)

Russell Utterbeck won an electric train given in a drawing at Watson Bros. Drug Store. Henry Manis won a turkey given in a drawing by Mann Conoco Station.

Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Saunders of Edwardsville served as the installing patron and matron for the local Eastern Star.

Janet Lynn Gilllum was a guest of the “Whizzo’s Wonderland” TV program.

Mrs. Harold Peterson, Mrs. Chris Schmutz and Mrs. Fred Slagle were hostesses for the Christmas party for the Glenwood EHU.

Terry Gridley was in charge of the program for the January meeting of the local PTA.

100 Years Ago

(Dec. 24, 1908)

Linwood residents were building a new levy to prevent spring flooding.

Union Pacific Railroad crews were working on construction of a new wagon bridge over the Kaw River.

The Weldgrube and Kahle farms in Wilder shipped a car load of turnips to Kansas City.

A man attempting to jump aboard a freight train, slipped and fell off. His foot was crushed under the wheel and the crew got him on board and brought him to Bonner Springs where he was treated by Dr. Gordon and then sent to Kansas City for further care.

Imri Zumwalt had a busy Sunday speaking at Christian churches in both Bonner Springs and Edwardsville. He had left the area to serve as principal at Herington High School.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.