Sheriff ‘saddened’ by charges against son
Wyandotte County Sheriff Leroy Green Jr. says he’s “deeply saddened and disheartened” by charges brought against his 35-year-old son.
“The judicial process will have to proceed like in any other case,” the sheriff said in a statement sent by e-mail Tuesday to media outlets in the region. “I have disqualified myself from any involvement with the case, including any custodial issues.
Leroy Green III, Kansas City, Kan., is charged with nine counts of rape and six counts of aggravated indecent liberties with a child.
He is accused of engaging in lewd fondling or sexual intercourse with his victims, all of whom were under the age of 14.
The charges allege that the acts began in 2001 and continued until August. Green III was taken into custody Monday.
Bond for Green III has been set at $1 million.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Land Institute president steps down, but work continues
- Kansas City Connection: Tour spotlights how things are growing in urban gardens, farms