Archive for Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Remember When

February 6, 2008

10 Years Ago

February 5. 1998

Bonner Springs High School announced plans for its courtwarming celebration. King candidates were: Eric Fleenor, Scott Shannon, Justin Dame, Larry Bowline and Bernard Springsfield. Queen candidates were: Amber Still, Mandy Lehnen, Theresa Hauetter, Tiffany Frost and Jessica Gilliland.

The USD 458 (Basehor-Linwood) Board of Education accepted the low bid of Harris Bank for 4.8002 percent for its $10 million facility expansion.

A ribbon-cutting ceremony was planned for the new Mutual Savings Association in Bonner Springs.

Basehor-Linwood Middle School cheerleaders were: Courtney Kirkpatrick, Ashley Thompson, Lindsay Kass, Megan Heffley, Ashley Huffman, Ashley Parsons, Jessica Kelley and Emily Befort.

The City of Edwardsville received a $5,615 Solid Waste Implementation Grant from KDHE.

25 Years Ago

February 3, 1983

Ray Cox was installed as president of the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Chamber of Commerce. Other officers were: Jerry Bredwell, first vice president; Dan Byers, second vice president; Steve Walker, third vice president; Dan Fraker, treasurer and Vicky Wheeler, executive secretary. Tony Dusil and Don Harbour were presented the community service awards.

The Bonner Springs High School debate team ended its season with a 9-10 record. Team members were: Susan Brazeal, J. V. Everhart, Javon Owen, Kathy Thorn and Kevin Ritchie.

Jesse White, Bonner Springs assistant postmaster, retired after a career of 32 years in government service and 29 years with the post office.

Four members of Edwardsville Boy Scout Troop 147, painted the new Scout room in the church basement. They were: Charles Antill, Jerry Dalebout, Tim Jones and Tim Toland.

50 Years Ago

February 6, 1958

Kay Roudybush, Martha Kuhn, Mitzi Dunn and Shirley Bush were Bonner Springs entries in the queen contest sponsored by the Kansas City Motor Car Dealers Association.

Bonner Springs city employees received a $35 per month salary increase.

Mrs. James Hilliard, Mrs. Edwin Stevenson and Mrs. W. C. Mitchell headed the local "Mothers March on Polio" fund raising event.

Linwood Lions Club completed a project to purchase six light poles for lights at the Linwood High School Football Field.

The Delaware Township Fire Department received a new Jeep for use in fighting fires.

Bill Budy was the leading scorer in the Bonner Springs Church Basketball League. Budy was averaging 16.6 points for the Catholic Church.

100 Years Ago

February 6, 1908

The Bonner Springs Portland Cement planned to open in February. The plant was located on a 365-acre site and also held oil and gas leases on an additional 4,000 acres. W.E. Gheen was corporation president. Other officers were: W.H. Cafferty, vice president; J.D. Waters, treasurer; A.L. Cooper, secretary. The corporation had capital stock of $1.2 million.

Grading started on the Bonner Springs Hotel and Bath House. Lt. John M. Shook was heading the efforts to build the $90,000 facility.

An 18-year old boy barely escaped death when he fell from a freight train. He fell across the opposite set of tracks and the brakeman made a frantic effort to stop an oncoming freight train. The train stopped 12 inches from the unconscious youth.

The county assessor made a visit to Bonner Springs and was an "unwelcome" visitor.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.