LHS girls move up to No. 8 in 5A poll
One of the Lansing High girls basketball team's goals during recent years has been to not just earn a state ranking, but keep it upon joining the poll.
That hasn't worked out so well in years past, but the 2007-2008 Lions are different. They had a 3-3 start to the season, but have won 10 of their last 13 games and now are 13-6 entering their 6 p.m. Friday regular-season finale at Perry-Lecompton.
Lansing cracked the rankings for the first time this sseason in the Jan. 28 Kansas Basketball Coaches Association poll at No. 9. They held that spot for three straight weeks before moving up to No. 8 in the latest poll, which was released Feb. 18.
Wichita Bishop Carroll occupies the No. 1 spot, followed by McPherson, Emporia, Great Bend, St. Thomas Aquinas, Shawnee Heights, Hutchinson and Lansing. Wichita Kapaun-Mt. Carmel is No. 9 and defending state champion Bishop Miege is No. 10.
In addition to the KBCA poll, both the Lansing girls and boys are receiving votes in The Topeka Capital-Journal's Class 5A poll which ranks the top five teams in the state.
More like this story
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Former Shawnee music teacher charged with molestation missing from house arrest
- Edwardsville police implement new body cameras for officers
- City government organization hosts April voting contest