LHS girls, boys nab highest KBCA rankings ever
The Lansing High girls have been riding high since New Year's, winning 11 of 14 games and improving their record to 14-6. They've spent the past month ranked in the Kansas Basketball Coaches Association's poll, but on Tuesday they attained their highest Class 5A ranking in program history when they climbed the chart to No. 6.
The Lions will put that ranking on the line at 7 p.m. Thursday when they play host to Turner in the first round of the substate playoffs.
Wichita Bishop Carroll claimed the No. 1 position, followed by McPherson, Emporia, Great Bend, Shawnee Heights, Lansing, Bishop Miege, St. Thomas Aquinas, Hutchinson and Wichita Kapaun-Mt. Carmel.
Meanwhile, the LHS boys also attained their highest 5A ranking in program history when they moved up to No. 8. They are 14-6, have won four in a row and knocked off Class 4A's then-No. 4 team Perry-Lecompton on Friday.
Highland Park owns the No. 1 spot in 5A, followed by Bishop Miege, McPherson, Sumner Academy, Pittsburg, Liberal, Salina Central, Lansing, Hays and Hutchinson.
The LHS boys play host to Bonner Springs at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the first round of the substate playoffs.
More like this story
- Bonner-based interior designer loves to reshape spaces
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues
- Fascinating fasteners: Bonner woman shares button hobby through 'traveling museum'
- Ex-lawmaker faces sentencing for fraud to finance campaign