Lansing girls crack KBCA poll; boys left out
The Lansing High girls basketball team is ranked for the first time this season.
The Lions, 9-4 overall and 6-1 since new year's, jumped into the Kansas Basketball Coaches Association's Class 5A poll at No. 9. Wichita Bishop Carroll is No. 1, followed by Emporia, Great Bend, St. Thomas Aquinas, McPherson, Shawnee Heights, Hutchinson, Wichita Kapaun-Mt. Carmel, LHS and Bishop Miege.
In addition, the LHS girls are one of four teams receiving votes for The Topeka Capital-Journal's 5A poll. The C-J rankings list their top five teams, as well as schools receiving votes. That poll lists Carroll at No. 1, followed by Aquinas, Emporia, Great Bend and McPherson. Lansing, Hutchinson, Miege and Shawnee Heights are receiving votes.
Meanwhile, the Lansing boys are surprisingly absent from both polls. The Lions were ignored by the KBCA poll and aren't receiving votes in the C-J rankings despite being 10-3 overall and winners of seven straight games.
Highland Park holds the top spot in both polls, followed by Bishop Miege.
KBCA Class 5A rankings
1. Highland Park; 2. Bishop Miege; 3. Sumner Academy; 4. Salina Central; 5. McPherson; 6. St. Thomas Aquinas; 7. Pittsburg; 8. Shawnee Heights; 9. Emporia; 10. Hays.
1. Wichita Bishop Carroll; 2. Emporia; 3. Great Bend; 4. St. Thomas Aquinas; 5. McPherson; 6. Shawnee Heights; 7. Hutchinson; 8. Wichita Kapaun-Mt. Carmel; 9. Lansing; 10. Bishop Miege.
Topeka Capital-Journal Class 5A rankings
1. Highland Park (12-0)
2. Bishop Miege (12-1)
3. Salina Central (11-2)
4. Emporia (9-4)
5. McPherson (11-2)
Receiving votes: Hays (9-4), Hutchinson (7-4), Sumner Academy (8-3), Liberal (11-2), Pittsburg (9-3), Shawnee Heights (8-4).
1. Wichita Bishop Carroll (10-2)
2. St. Thomas Aquinas (9-3)
3. Emporia (11-2)
4. Great Bend (11-2)
5. McPherson (10-3)
Receiving votes: Hutchinson (7-4), Lansing (9-4), Bishop Miege (8-5), Shawnee Heights (9-4).
More like this story
- Kansas Chamber: Governor's order sufficient on gay marriage
- Kansas Senate advances energy, elections, gambling proposals
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues
- USD 458 bond issue supporters make final push
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Gary Johnson, USD 458 Board of Education