Governor requests disaster assistance
Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius is sending a letter to President Bush requesting a federal disaster declaration for 60 counties because of December's ice storms.
Included on the list are Leavenworth and Jefferson counties.
Joint and federal preliminary disaster teams estimate damage to public infrastructure from the storms to be in excess of $170 million. About $148 million is damage to Kansas Rural Electric Cooperatives and municipal facilities.
Sebelius also requested hazard mitigation for all 105 counties.
More like this story
- Kobach says Kansas attracted most new businesses since 2003
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- State officials ready to work with Bonner Springs's K-7 requests
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers