Glory days recalled
To the editor:
I enjoyed the sports feature by Nick Bates about the Bonner Springs High School 1980 Girls Track Team in the June 12, 2008, issue.
The interesting article retold the glory days of the 1,600-meter relay team of Cheryl Chambers, Nina Kimbrough, Carol McGraw and Viesta Suffren. According to the article, those teammates won the Kansas Class 5A state championship in the top state record time in history of 3 minutes, 56.94 seconds. I hope the girls and the entire 1980 state championship team receives additional recognition in some small token form at the school.
I personally remember Chambers, Nina Kimbrough, McGraw and Suffren also being outstanding track stars on the 1979 girls team. They must have just been warming up their team chemistry in 1979, the year I graduated from BSHS and covered some good track stars for the Braves.
The article mentioned that the 1980 coach was Jill Mullens, who was on the Braves coaching staff in 1979 as well.
I hope the Chieftain does more stories about some of the other BSHS athletes and sports teams who also hold state records and won state titles. It would be nice to read about what some of these athletes are up to now while they take a trip back down memory lane with Bonner Springs readers. Perhaps a regular sports feature on "Sports Records and Memories" would make some good reads.
More like this story
- Senator's bill on Kansas out-of-district students criticized
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Jeanette Klamm, USD 458 Board of Education
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Brownback urges Kansas House to pass GOP school funding plan
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Gary Johnson, USD 458 Board of Education