Area under thunderstorm warning
Basehor, Bonner Springs, Edwardsville and Shawnee are under a severe thunderstorm warning until 1 p.m..
At 1127 a.m. National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a line of severe thunderstorms capable of producing walnut-size hail and destructive winds in excess of 70 mph. These storms were located along a line extending from 7 miles northwest of Tonganoxie to 6 miles southwest of Tonganoxie to 10 miles west of Linwood and moving east at 26 mph.
The National Weather Service predicted the thunderstorms would be near Tonganoxie by 11:40 a.m., Linwood by 11:50 a.m. De Soto and Basehor by noon. Bonner Springs by 12:05 p.m. Edwardsville by 12:10 p.m. and Olathe by 12:15 p.m.
The towns of Reno Jarbalo, Clearview City, Fairmount, Piper, Lake of the Forest, Monticello, Holliday, Maywood and Zarah are also in the path of these severe thunderstorms.
In addition to large hail and damaging winds continuous cloud to ground lightning is occurring with this storm.
The NWS urged residents to move inside immediately.
More like this story
- Hospitals push for Medicaid expansion in Kansas
- Organization Orientation: Basehor-Linwood Assistance Services
- Kansas officials hope budget puzzle pieces drop into place
- Kansas governor works on program to provide mentors for poor
- Bonner schools' request for additional funding denied; Basehor-Linwood receives half of funding requested