To the editor:
In response to Cheryl Reischman's recent letter about unruly dogs, the dogs do not have more rights than you do. Their owners don't have more rights than you do, either.
These owners are failing to properly control their animals.
I'm not an attorney or a law enforcement officer, but even with no leash law in the county, there is a requirement to keep animals on one's own property or under control. KSA 21-4310 states that animals not so restrained may be killed if they pose a threat to persons, property or other animals. Kansas state law (47-645) says "if any dog shall kill, wound or worry any domestic animal the owners of such dog shall be liable to the owner of such animal for all damages that may be sustained..."
I don't suggest Ms Reischman kill the unruly dogs she encounters, but she can carry citronella or pepper spray to repel the dogs. She can also carry a cell phone and call the sheriff when the dogs harass her on her rides.
Another idea would be to make the dogs look forward to her passing by - carry treats for the dogs!
The real solution would be for all animal owners to be considerate of others and keep their animals at home.
Crystal Swann Blackdeer
More like this story
- Organization Orientation: Bonner Springs Business and Professional Women
- Brownback to take action on bill regulating Uber drivers
- Kansas City reaches deal to create 'Smart City' network
- Feds: Hotel owners replaced legal workers with immigrants
- Education focus: JCCC partners with Clorox for on-site manufacturing courses