Remember When March 6
10 Years Ago
(March 5, 1998)
Pictures by three Bonner Springs Elementary students were selected to represent Kansas in the national Olympic poster contest. They were: Zach Holder, Aaron Clark and Chris Mattox.
The Leavenworth County Commission approved plans for the Bear Lake subdivision.
Winners in the Edwardsville Elementary spelling bee were: Isaac Garlington, first; Josh Mortensen, second and Jon Baxter, third.
Nancy Landers was named third vice president of the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Chamber of Commerce.
Heather Drennon, Basehor-Linwood senior, signed a letter-of-intent to compete in track for Johnson County Community College.
25 Years Ago
(March 3, 1983)
The Bonner Springs City Council discussed the possibility of issuing industrial revenue bonds to finance multiple family housing.
Bonner Springs High School presented the "Music Man." Ross Woolf was cast as "Prof. Howard Hill" and Robbie Cline played the role of "Marian the Librarian." Laurel Griffith was vocal music director. Larry Berg was director of the pit band and Bari Foote was technical coordinator.
Grace Voigt and Dorothy Saving were hostesses for the Glenwood EHU meeting.
Josephine Finley was honored for 50 years of service with the Wyandotte County Republican Central Committee.
Two Basehor students, Donna Kuehnoff and Natasha Stanberry were legislative pages for Rep. Al Ramirez.
50 Years Ago
(March 6, 1958)
Fire destroyed the Edwardsville Christian Church. The property was insured and the congregation said it planned to rebuild.
Marcia Hill was the first contestant to enter the "Miss Bonner Springs" contest.
The Bonner Springs City Council voted unanimously to annex the Bluegrass and Tiblow areas of the city.
The Edwardsville Board of Education was accepting bids for construction of its new elementary building.
Linwood and Basehor high schools competed in the Tri-County League music festival.
Ralph D. Wagner was appointed assistant cashier at the Commercial State Bank.
The Bonner Springs school board voted to allow teachers five days of sick leave each year.
Modern Matrons HDU met at the home of Mrs. Roy Bundy.
100 Years Ago
(March 3, 1908)
Bonner Springs contracted with J. S. Wood Midland Bureau to produce a 10-day Chautauqua to coincide with the opening of the new bath house pavilion. Philo Clark was elected president of the committee. Other officers were D. Clark Kelly, vice president; Fred Candless, secretary and J. W. Waters, treasurer,
A meeting was held at Monticello School to discuss ways and means to build a bridge over the Kaw River at Holiday. Woodson McCoy was chairman of the committee and W. W. Anderson was the treasurer.
The ringing of bells celebrated the start-up of the new Bonner Springs Portland Cement Co.
Excavation was started for the new Bonner Springs Bottling Works at Second and Cedar.