Youth showing signs of progress
The 5-year-old Linwood-area girl who suffered a gunshot wound to the head and has been in the pediatric unit of Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., was moved to a room in the rehab unit on Saturday according to an information hotline.
Katherine Cook was also taken to an ophthalmologist to examine the physical structure of her eyes. No nerve damage was found. Doctors said she should be able to see when those neurological pathways heal.
Katherine doesn't have complete control of holding her head up and was fitted for an adjustable wheelchair, in which she reclines at a 45-degree angle. Her level of consciousness is improving.
More like this story
- Avian flu case confirmed in Leavenworth County
- Creating a family: Agency seeks more foster families; greatest need in Wyandotte County
- Employer sent to prison for hiring workers illegally in U.S.
- City budget suggestions cause conflict on Shawnee council
- End of an era: BLHS teacher says goodbye after 35 years