Archive for Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Remember When March 27, 2008

March 26, 2008

10 Years Ago

(March 26, 1998)

The city of Bonner Springs won its 12th consecutive "Tree City USA" award. Betty Rehm, Lucy Soptic, Bonner Beautiful Commission, and Marcia Ashford, city staff, received the award in Manhattan.

Katie Fesenmeyer was named as a delegate to Sunflower Girls State.

Basehor-Linwood Middle School students Brandon Buck, Billy Crum, Albert King and Peter Hill were legislative pages for State Rep. Ray Cox.

Susan Mayberry was the new Basehor-Linwood High School girls softball coach.

Greg DeGraeve, Cindy Rihard and Jan Brickey were officers of the Totem Pole Booster Club.

Dean Luttrell, executive vice president; Gayle Runnels, branch manager, and Steve Rosenthal, president of the Basehor Chamber of Commerce, were shown in a photo cutting the ribbon to open the expanded Citizens Savings Association building.

25 Years Ago

(March 24, 1983)

Bonner Springs High School delegates to Sunflower Boys State were: Kevin Powers, Brad Biles, Martin Whipple, Jimmy Creten, Mark Gillum and Cliff Ferrell, alternate.

The Bonner Springs City Council approved a resolution giving the city authority to construct a sewer plant.

Kathy Roberts won the Sacred Heart School spelling championship.

Cadette Girl Scout Stephanie McKinney was selected to participate in the Wider Opportunities program.

Sue Mefford and Bud Leininger opened Country Junction Antiques on Oak Street.

Tony Stansberry, USD 458 (Basehor-Linwood) superintendent of schools, resigned to accept a position as Grandview, Mo., superintendent.

50 Years Ago

(March 27, 1958)

Vaughn Kimbrough resigned as head football coach at Bonner Springs High School to accept a position as head coach at Leavenworth.

Work was under way on the interior of the Edwardsville Christian Church, which had been damaged by a recent fire.

D. W. Hininger announced the opening of a loan company in the 100 block of Oak Street. He had owned the local Chevrolet dealership until 1955 when he sold it to Ed Roberts.

Barbara Ballentine and Kathleen Barb became candidates in the Miss Bonner Springs Pageant.

The Rev. Robert Beckwith was the new pastor of the Mission Creek Baptist Church.

100 Years Ago

(March 26, 1908)

Fifteen men pledged enough funding to ensure that there would be a baseball team in Bonner Springs. They purchased the equipment and the grandstand at Athletic Park and pledged to be ready for the 1908 season. They announced that pitcher Baker and catcher Page agreed to play for Bonner Springs.

The Edwardsville Christian Church announced it was requiring students to take a test over material presented during the Sunday school lesson.

William Bachruck, Bonner Springs, was a private in Troop C, Sixth Calvary, serving in the Philippine Islands. Due to his bravery in recent action on Jalo Island, he was recommended for a promotion.

A valuable horse was stolen from the barn of John Nelson near the Santa Fe depot. The horse was recovered in the Muncie area.

Forty ladies from the Grand Army of the Republic Relief Corps attended a flower show at the home of Mrs. J. D. Waters in Bonner Springs. Miss Marion Waters presented several musical numbers during the show.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.