Herre leads BSHS swimmers at league
The Bonner Springs Bravettes closed out the swimming season on a high note on May 7 at the Independent League Championships at the Bonner Springs YMCA.
The Bravettes placed third overall and second in the inter-league competition.
The young squad had several good individual performances, but only one medal. Emily Herre took third in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 27.81 seconds.
Both the 200 and 400 freestyle relay teams medaled by finishing third in their events, but the 400 freestyle team of Teran Holter, Jaclyn Lira, Kaley Withers and Herre set a new school record with a time of 4:26.95.
Bonner Springs improved throughout the season and began to peak near the end of the year, which is exactly what coach Tierney Thompson asked for from a team that began the year with little experienced but finished the season strong.
Next year the girls will have the experience of swimming all different events and will have dealt with the pressure at meets, Thompson said. She said that experience would, she hoped, lend itself to faster times in the water and more medals to show for it.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: James Blancarte, Linwood City Council
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Jeanette Klamm, USD 458 Board of Education
- Kansas closer to allowing concealed carry with no permit
- Basehor-Linwood falls short of perfect season