NASCAR butts out
The message that secondhand smoke is as dangerous as lighting up a cigarette continues to take root.
This past week, officials with the Kansas Speedway announced that, beginning in 2010, smoking will be prohibited in the speedway’s grandstands and enclosed areas.
The news is likely to be greeted with scorn from some smokers — presumably a big portion of the NASCAR fan base. Officials announced the move now, ahead of season ticket renewals for 2010 so that any put-out smokers could determine whether to give up their seats in light of the new restriction.
We doubt many will. Smokers still attend Royals, Chiefs and area college football games where smoking is banned in seating areas.
The message is clear: Butts out!
More like this story
- 25 years on, disabilities act has changed lives of millions
- Face to Face: Linwood business owner Kim Miller-Tallman
- Kansas Senate to consider tax increases to close budget gap
- Edwardsville councilman releases statement after KBI closes investigation
- Police: 11 injured in Great Bend crash involving spider