NASCAR butts out
The message that secondhand smoke is as dangerous as lighting up a cigarette continues to take root.
This past week, officials with the Kansas Speedway announced that, beginning in 2010, smoking will be prohibited in the speedway’s grandstands and enclosed areas.
The news is likely to be greeted with scorn from some smokers — presumably a big portion of the NASCAR fan base. Officials announced the move now, ahead of season ticket renewals for 2010 so that any put-out smokers could determine whether to give up their seats in light of the new restriction.
We doubt many will. Smokers still attend Royals, Chiefs and area college football games where smoking is banned in seating areas.
The message is clear: Butts out!
More like this story
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Bonner drama club provides performance outlet for secondary students
- Push on to make catfish a Kansas state symbol